I had three bananas sitting in my fruit bowl getting spotty brown. No longer good for a peel and eat, but perfect sugary candidates for these banana muffins. My husband is a banana bread fan. Well, actually he loves anything banana flavored. With that in mind, of course, I have a tried and true banana bread recipe. However, to mix things up, I decided to make muffins and found this highly rated recipe online.
The batter seemed a little stiff, like pound cake batter and I was a little worried that my muffins would be dense. They actually turned out nice and light and the streusel topping really made these. A perfect quick item to grab on your way out the door in the morning.
Banana Crumb Muffins
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 bananas, mashed
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly grease 10 muffin cups, or line with muffin papers.
- In a large bowl, mix together 1 1/2 cups flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, beat together bananas, sugar, egg and melted butter. Stir the banana mixture into the flour mixture just until moistened. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups. ( I used an ice cream scoop here to make it more exact.)
- In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar, 2 tablespoons flour and cinnamon. Cut in 1 tablespoon butter until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Sprinkle topping over muffins.
- Bake in preheated oven for 18 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of a muffin comes out clean. I cooked my tins on a baking pan, just in case the sugar sprinkle started to fall off.