Next week will kick off the official peach season for the south eastern portion of the United States. Though I no longer live there, I remember this time of year with fondness. I was lucky enough to grow up with my very own peach tree in my back yard and have fond memories of climbing the tree to shake the branches with the full weight of my body, hoping that a fully ripe peach would fall to the ground. A true prize, biting into the perfect peach, my body would lean forward to let the juice fall away from clothes, the sign of real southern belle.
Peaches are something that I hold near and dear to my heart and my family will occasionally surprise me with a whole box of them. The following tart is a great recipe when you have perfectly ripe peaches, as it showcases their fresh flavor without cooking them. The nuttiness of the browned butter with the fruity undertones of almond extract mixes with the fresh citrus flavors of the peaches to create the most delightful combination. Yummy, can’t wait for peach season to arrive here, but this is for all of you lucky people that have those wonderful little peaches at your disposal right now.
Almond Peach Brown Butter Tart
For the crust:
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup blanched almonds, toasted
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/3 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
For the filling:
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 3 tablespoons light-brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons almond extract
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
For the topping:
- 2 pounds peaches, pitted and thinly sliced
- Garnish: confectioners’ sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4-1/2 cup sugar
- Make the crust: Pulse flour and almonds in a food processor until ground. Beat butter and confectioners’ sugar with a mixer on medium speed until pale and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add flour mixture, yolk, and a pinch of salt; mix until dough comes together. Press into bottom and up sides of a 9-inch tart pan with a removable bottom; refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Make the filling: Heat butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat until browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, beat yolks, corn syrup, and brown sugar with a mixer on medium speed until pale and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Mix in browned butter (with bits), almond extract, cream, and vanilla. (Mixture should be thick but pourable.)
- Transfer tart shell onto a baking sheet. Pour in filling to reach halfway up side. Bake until crust is golden brown and crisp and center is set but slightly soft, 40 to 45 minutes. Let cool.
- Make the topping: Working in a circle and pressing into filling, top tart with peaches. Garnish with confectioners’ sugar. Whisk cream and sugar with a mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form. Serve tart topped with whipped cream.